84 Items Found
Page: 3 of 9
0 Items in Basket »
Previous page Next page
QSA KSA Pair To The RFA, MID For Gallantry

QSA 3 bars Cape Colony, Orange Free State , Transvaal 48956 GNR W SCAIFE 4:B, RFA KSA 2 bars SA01, SA02 49856 GNR W SCAIFE RFA

49856 Gunner W Scaife 4th Battery Royal Field Artillery was MID and promoted Bombardier by the Commander-in-Chief in the London Gazette of the 18th of July 1902 " At Klipdrift, on 7th March,1902, continued to work his gun after all his detachment had been killed or wounded"

Klipdrift ( Battle of Tweebosch ) 7th March 1902

On the night of 6 March Methuen was informed by his Intelligence Officer that a large concentration of Boers, under De la Rey, was nearby. Grenfell was then 36 miles away to the east of Tweebosch and De la Rey moved in between the two columns. His battle plan was much the same as that employed at Ysterspruit, which was to cut the columns into three, and to overcome resistance with a charge, the men firing from the saddle
The column moved off in two divisions from Tweebosch on 7 March 1902, the ox-convoy starting at 0300 hrs, escorted by Cape Police, the Yeomanry, all the Infantry and Lt Venning's two guns.of 4th Battery RFA The main column moved out at 0400hrs, escorted by the Cape Special Police, Ashburner's Light Horse, with one pom-pom forming the advance guard, and Dennison's Scouts and the Diamond Fields Horse the rear guard. Lt Nesham's two guns of 38th Battery RFA were with this column.

By about 0500 hrs the head of the column had reached de Klipdrift on the Great Harts River, when the Boer attack opened on the rear-guard. The fire put down by Nesham's guns and the second pom-pom was effective for a while, but not for long. At 0530 hrs the ox-column was ordered to halt, and at 0600 hrs the attack assumed serious proportions when, in addition to attacking the rear of the column, a movement was made against the column's right flank. Methuen, in accordance with a previous arrangement, took post with the Infantry. Major Paris, commanding the mounted troops, reinforced the rear while Metheun extended the Infantry and brought Venning's guns into action. Lines of charging Boers, firing from the saddle, in extended order, disregarding the heavy fire directed at them, pushed forward. After a small measure of resistance nearly all the Colonial troops broke and fled. The regulars, or the handful that were left, and Nesham's gunners, stood fast. One by one the men of the 38th Battery were shot down, but the guns remained in action. Burgher Willem Richards took up a position behind the guns and shot six gunners. One gun only, served by Lt T. P. W. Nesham, entirely on his own, remained in action. The Boers, admiring the young officer's coolness and courage called on him to surrender. He refused to comply, shouting out: 'I prefer death to surrender.' He, too, was shot down.

Venning's battery suffered the same fate, but continued in action until he fell mortally wounded while serving a gun. At about 0930 hrs Methuen was hit in the thigh. He dismounted and lay down next to his horse. It was hit, wounded a second time, and fell on him, breaking his leg. Colonel E. Townsend, the column's Principal Medical Officer, splinted Methuen's leg with two rifles, and was hit three times in rapid succession.

The fight was over and surrender was inevitable.

Together with copy photo of Scaife in uniform

Medals generally in GVF condition

Code: 50747


TFEM ( EDVII) To The 4th Rl Sussex R


Medal with original mounted on single wearing pin and in NEF condition

Code: 50748

160.00 GBP

Shortlist item
1914/15 Trio To 2 Lieut York & Lanc R , KIA

1914/15 trio 2 LIEUT G N SHARPE YORK & LANC R ( 2 Lieut on pair )

Gerald Norman Sharpe 4th Hallamshire Battalion The Yorks and Lancs Regiment was the 20 year old Son of Beatrice Sharpe, of "Oakdene," 13, York Rd., Hove, Brighton, and the late Granville Hawley Sharpe. Native of Kingston-on-Thames. He was killed in action on the 31st of July 1916 and is buried in Blighty Valley Cemetery, Authuille Wood

Medals toned and in NEF condition, BWM has an official correction to the letter A in Sharpe

Code: 50750


WW1 Pair To Lieut Notts & Derby R , KIA


Lieut Bernard Bond 19th attached 11th Notts and Derby Regiment died of wounds on the 2nd of August 1916. He is buried in Warloy-Baillon Communal Cemetery Extension, Somme, France. He was born on 30th May 1882 in South Leverton and was the son of Reverend Samuel Bond and Emily Kate Bond née Worts of Woodborough Vicarage Nottingham, He married his wife Eleanor Jarvis (b1891 in Bedford ) in Bedford in 1910 they went on to have a son Geoffrey born 1911 in Nottingham .

Retford Times 11/8/1916

'News has reached Mrs Bond of Lowdham, that her husband Lieut Bernard Bond, Sherwood Foresters, died of wounds on Aug 2. Lieut Bond who was brother of Captain the Rev B K Bond, B F (late curate of Ordsall) was in the service of Messrs John Player Limited as a traveller for 12 years prior to volunteering his services on the outbreak of war. Having received a training under Captain Trotman in the Nottingham OTC, he was granted a commission in the Sherwoods about 18 months ago and was and went to the front with a draft early this year. The deceased officer was the son of the late Rev Samuel Bond who was the vicar of Woodborough for 16 years

Medals with original ribbons and in NEF condition

Code: 50751


QSA To The W York R , Wounded At Hussar Hill Later KIA / DOW At Lake Chrissie

QSA 6 bars Tugela Heights, Orange Free State, Relief of Ladysmith Transvaal, Laings Nek SA01 5064 PTE A MIDDLETON W YORKSHIRE REGT

Pte Middleton was wounded at the attack on Hussar Hill ( Monte Christo ) on the 18th of February 1900, the regiment losing nearly 50 men KIA , DOW or wounded during the attack, Pte Middleton was later KIA or DOW ( Killed in Action on the medal roll, Died of Wounds on the casualty roll ) during a night attack on the camp at Lake Chrissie on 6 February 1901

On 5 February, General Smith-Dorrien, reached Bothwell Farm, in the neighbourhood of Lake Chrissie, where he halted for the night and with the studious attention to all reasonable precautions, entrenched his camp strongly. It was an intensely dark night and visibility was further hampered by a heavy mist which hung over the uplands, making it virtually impossible for the sentries and outposts to see anyone beyond the distance of a few yards. Earlier in the day Louis Botha had reinforced Lukas Meyer, who was conducting the Boer retreat in this quarter, and it had been determined that a night attack with two thousand men would be made upon the British camp, in order to cover the withdrawal northwards. At 3.00am on 6 February the attack was delivered. The Boers who had crawled unseen close to the British outposts suddenly rushed between two trenches held by the West Yorkshire Regiment, driving in front of them a herd of loose horses in order to confuse the defenders into believing that they were being attacked by mounted troops. However the men of The West Yorkshire Regiment held firm, whilst support came up and a fierce hand-to-hand struggle ensued, the Boers being forced back in disorder, leaving some twenty burghers dead. Casualties on the British side were heavy too with twenty-four Officers and men killed and a further fifty-three wounded, the West Yorkshire Regiment was hardest hit. The Victoria Cross was awarded to Sergeant William Traynor of the Regiment for saving the life of a wounded comrade in this action

Together with an old print of a poem stuck on card regarding the West Yorks in the Boer War

Medal in GVF condition, SA01 bar loose on ribbon

Code: 50752

550.00 GBP

Shortlist item
WW1 Pair To Lieut Cheshire Yeo / RAF , Shot Down And POW


Joseph Whalley Boumphrey From Baycliff Lymm Cheshire , was first commissioned into the Cheshire Yeomanry. He later transferred to the Royal Flying Corps and served as a Sopwith Pup Pilot with 66 Squadron in France. on the 30th of September 1917 he was shot down in combat with over Gheluwe by The German ace Richard Runge , Lieut Boumphrey was taken prisoner of war . He was repatriated to Leith in December 1918

Medals with original ribbons and in EF condition

Code: 50753


GSM Palestine To The Buffs, KIA Italy 1943

GSM one bar Palestine 6284981 PTE A BEALE THE BUFFS

Arthur Norman Charles Beale 5th The Buffs (Royal East Kent Regiment) was killed in action in Italy on the 3rd of November 1943 . He was 27 years of age and is buried in Sangro River War Cemetery

Transcription of 5th Battalion, The Buffs War Diary .

3rd November 1943


The attack started with B Coy (MAJOR W H FEWSON) as right forward Coy, D Coy (MAJOR D MILTON) left forward Coy followed by advance RHQ C & Y Coy’s. The remainder of RHQ with the weapons of S Coy on mules assembled on the forward edge of the BOSCO DI MOLTICE with instructions to move forward if possible on the capture of the 1st objective. Almost immediately the leading Coy’s came under intense MMG & mortar fire as did its mule party in the BOSCO DI MOLTICE. This fire however was not accurate as it was still dark. The advance continued but owing to the heavy going across the ploughed country, dawn was just breaking when the leading Coy were within 300ft of the first objective. The enemy fire became much more intense and accurate and the troops were unable to move forward until two troops of tanks of 46 RTR moved up in support and engaged the enemy MMG’s. During this time the Commanding Officer (LT. COL. A D MCKECHNIE, DSO) was badly wounded and B Coy Commander (MAJOR W H FEWSON) was killed. The leading Coy moved forward, captured the first objective, destroyed two MG’s and their crews and capturing a number of prisoners. After consolidating the first objective, the attack continued and the 2 i/c (MAJOR G M De B MONK, M.C.) took over.

The attack on the 2nd objective was carried out by 3 Coy’s forward, B, D & Y (CAPT. E H BODY) and C Coy (CAPT. W L FAIRWEATHER) was left to hold the first objective. 3 forward Coy’s were supported by a squadron of 46 RTR. The capture of the 2nd objective was effected with very few casualties by approximately 10.30 hours. However on the left of the Bn. the 6th Inniskillings had not been able to capture the whole of SAN SALVO and the enemy were still holding out in the Northern part of the town. On the right flank the enemy were still in possession of SAN SALVO Station 6384. The position thus had to be consolidated to face our enemy on 3 sides

Medal in EF condition

Code: 50754

325.00 GBP

Shortlist item
IGS Bar Burma 1887-9 To A Surgeon , MID


Cecil Spencer Cronin was born in Dublin on 11 December 1858 , He graduated with a Medical Degree from Queens University Ireland and was commissioned Surgeon, Indian Medical Staff, on 28 July 1886. He served in Burma during the Third Burmese War at the Station Hospital, Bhano, from 16 April 1888 to 18 May 1889, and was Mentioned in Despatches London Gazette 15 November 1889: ‘Surgeon C. S. Cronin, Medical Staff, has also earned mention in this despatch by his devotion to duty and care of the wounded.’) He died of cholera at Ranikhet on 29 July 1890 , his burial being officiated over by Rev Father Francis, a Roman Catholic priest and probate was granted to his wife Maria Elizabeth at Dublin in 1891. His death notice lists his home address at time of death as Mardyke House Cork

Medal is in GVF condition

Code: 50756


1914/15 Trio To The Essex Yeo, Wd Gallipoli Later Commissioned

1914/15 trio 1265 PTE S P LEIGH ESSEX YEO ( 2 Lieut on pair )

Samuel Preston Leigh, of Bearsted,
Maidstone, was born at Bury St Edmunds Suffolk in 1895. In the 1911 census he is shown as a student in Cambridge . He was commissioned,
served with the 5th Suffolk Regiment in the
First War and was wounded at Gallipoli.with the Essex Yeomanry
He is a widower, his wife having died just
after he became a St. Dunstaner . He died
in 1975 at Bearsted in Kent

Code: 50757


WW1 Pair To The Black Watch, KIA

WW1 pair 4690 PTE J SIM R HIGHS

266936 ( formerly 4690 ) Pte John Sim 6th Royal Highlanders. An Officer under the Fishery Board for Scotland was the 35 year old Son of Susan Sim, of The Terrace, Sandhaven, Fraserburgh, and the late Alexander Sim. He was formerly in business with his father as a fishcurer before becoming a fisheries officer based at Campbelltown, He was reported missing on the first day of the German spring offensive 21st March 1918 . BRCS enquiry reports submitted by his mother in Fraserburgh , his sister a schoolteacher in Hawick and his cousin a nurse in Edinburgh were all returned with no trace of John Sim being found, he was later reported killed in action on the 21st of March 1918, he has no known grave and is commemorated on the Arras Memorial France

"At 4.40 a.m. on 21 March 1918 the Germans unleashed a terrifyingly violent artillery and trench mortar bombardment using both high explosive and gas shells. Their great attack, Operation Michael, also known to the Germans as 'Die Kaiserschlacht', the Kaiser ' Battle, had 'begun. More than 6,400 artillery piece and 3,500 trench mortar opened fire on a front of 50 miles with the aim of destroying the Allied lines. The Fifth Army behind its week defences in the south was most vulnerable, but the Third Army, in which the 51st Division was serving, had the advantage of being stronger positions. From the Highlanders' perspective the bombardment extended as far as they could see and was seeking out the trenches, strong points, headquarters, artillery batteries, villages, roads and other places of importance. The bombardment continued for four hours and the smoke, gas and a morning mist conspired to help the German infantry when they surged forward from about 9 a.m. onwards."

The exact happenings when the German infantry were first encountered are not known, as none of the 6th Black Watch in the front and support line survived. These unfortunate men were subjected to a continuous bombardment of over four hours, which was concentrated on the trenches they occupied. If any of them survived the ordeal, they must have been overwhelmed when the masses of German infantry emerged through the fog.

Medal with original ribbons and in EF condition

Code: 50758

135.00 GBP

Shortlist item
Previous page Next page